One of the most challenging concepts to learn is to just be. It seems easy enough until you try it, especially when life rapidly changes. The truth is life is always rapidly changing, we’re all just doing things to make it seem unchanging. The main thing that we do is to make the same choices. Every day we wake up with newness. No two days are exactly the same. I know this may be news to many reading this. The key is to tune into this newness and make use of it to flow with change, make new choices, and have awesome new experiences!
What we’re doing in meditation practice is to bring ourselves back into this newness by breathing and paying attention to our thinking. The simple act of observing our thinking is all that is needed to change our thinking. Observation takes some of the static impacts away. Observation and breathing create space. In that space, we can just be.
- Wake up early. If you normally get up at 6am, set your alarm for 5am. Use the extra hour to practice by eating, dressing, walking, or whatever your routine is slowly, mindfully.
- Take more breaks. If this is not possible, excuse yourself to the restroom one or two more times than usual. A few minutes to “check in” with yourself goes a long way.
- Practice active listening. Especially with those whom you are very familiar. You may feel like your co-workers, spouse, children, neighbors have been telling you the same things for years. Really listen. Really respond. Change the conversation with your awareness.
- Be kind. Nothing will put you into the mode of “just being” like an act of kindness. These moments are genuine and can be done anonymously with the same result. You aren’t attached to the outcome. You’re observing the moment of kindness being given. This is life changing!
- Allow. Practice allowing - find your resistance and practice the opposite. Allow.
Your practice is grounded by all of the Just Being moments in a day, week, year, lifetime. A stable meditation practice is one of the best things you can do for yourself and the world. Keep practicing!